Popular Posts

Sunday, January 8, 2012

SOCIALLY AWKWARD to be VIRTUALLY AVAILABLE

I've always been a person that enjoys and would rather have a face to face conversation. For many reasons, one, you don't have to hide. Two, the communication is clearer and three, its builds character.

I have seen my own friendships become stronger because of being socially intimate with those around me. Its satisfying, its evolving, it's classic!!! Who can ever deny those feelings!! I looked forward to being with my friends and family to seek guidance, to give guidance, to laugh, to love and to live. Being sociable was most definitely my forte.

Being social, I have come across many things that seemed hopeful in maintaining friendships.But the one thing that allowed me all access to my friends and family 24/7 is social networks! Amazing thing to be used in keeping them posted on things going on in my life, but very detrimental if too much of my life was placed on a World Wide Web.

Control. Being introduced to these networks at first is very exciting! It, of course, adds a lot more to the conversation at the dinner table and maybe even spare a few laughs over a cup of hot cocoa (or coffee or tea whichever you prefer). But one thing I did see, is my desire to not go and hang out with those that I loved. I found myself staying home more to be on these networks and even separate myself from my family to spend more time uploading pictures or getting the most current status update and youtube video on my page! I was becoming involved in what everyone was saying and what everyone was thinking that it gave that I started to lose focus. I've lost control and was obsessed with the idea that I can be a homebody and socialize! Even using my phone for text messages has become more of a convenience for the sake of talking to someone.

Spending so much time on these devices didn't make it any easier when I began using a smartphone! Having a smartphone only quickened my access to being socially awkward!! I have relied and still do at times rely on this one device to be the life saver of confronting problems, asking for unsatisfying support, spiritual strength and just being virtually available!It's a PROBLEM! HAHA

Technology, is a great thing! but when we use it to replace the meaning of our personal relationships it's not such a great thing. When it becomes our means to expressing ourselves to our loved ones its not a good thing. When we can't manage our lives because we're wrapped up in our friends timeline or text message about their personal struggles it's not a good thing!

Is it so much to ask to put our devices away for a few short minutes to listen to our parents counsel, or to confront our problems head on and work through the miscommunication? can we, now, only depict our friends based on who texts us and who writes on our status's? Can we only find joy and laughter in a thought that is in our friends update? I believe that we can STILL have these opportunities on a face to face basis if we made time for it! How many times have we finished spending the night with the ones we care about and said "That was a fun night'? Have you ever said that to yourself after a night of being on the computer or your phone? I don't think so.

It's time to become familiar with my friends and family again... personally... sincerely... and not awkwardly!

5 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, this should totally be one of my new years resolutions, but I don't know if I'm ready for something of that magnitude! haha! for real though, every "down time" second I have, I find myself skimming through face book on my phone. Like you said, what happened to calling up a friend or a loved one when you get those free moments? Or better yet, spending time with them? You're right, I've never said "that was a fun night" after being on the computer or on my phone. And I see the down side to social networking among the youth I work with. They don't know how to communicate. They lack social skills. They can't express themselves effectively. It really can become a handicap in our lives. Great points Mycal...Look at who's the grown up now! haha! go on with your grown self! loves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHAHAAA!!! OH JEAN!! How you've influenced my life!! HAHAHA.. Really tho, I was just thinking that today about how I don't really hang out with my friends and you know me back in high school.. it was hard to get me out of my friends houses haha more specific, yours haha! Don't judge me! But yes, it's time to live it up again! Love you guys!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ya, you were definitely a super updater for a while on FB. But at least it allowed me to keep an eye on you.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaaa don't judge me tiff hahaa... How else was I suppose to contact you since you don't answer my emails calls or texts? Hahaa

    ReplyDelete
  5. ..thanks to this "BLAHG"..i've changed my ways!!! hahaha maybe..just a little.

    ReplyDelete